7

Thursday, December 10, 2015

2015 Christmas Shaker Cards using All I Want for Christmas Stamp Set

I got my Christmas cards ready early this year with this cute stamp set from OAK Tree Stamps. They are already on their way!

This is going to be a long post, so sit and relax and I'll guide you through the process. Make sure to get this limited edition stamp set, but hurry! I heard there's only a few left.

It all starts with a standard 5.5 x 4.25 inches notecard. I used a dark baby blue color that peeks through the window. I rounded the corners using a corner chomper.
I inked the valleys using Tumbled Glass and Pumice Stone Distress Ink on a Mini Blending Tool. I then used the guides provided with the file (back most orange paths) to position them correctly and glued them to the front of the notecard. 
I always make mockups of my cards and when I did, I realized that on the finished card, the sequins got caught on the edges of these cutouts, so I used my Cuttlebug to flatten them after they were glued to the base card. This is the before.
BEFORE
This is the setup I used: an A plate, then a B plate, the embossing mat, the notecard facing up and another B plate. Make sure to open the card so the cutouts don't leave a mark on the back.
And this is the final result, perfectly flat!
I added a piece of craft foam with enough space for all the shaking goodies. I adhered it using my ATG gun, making sure to add enough tape on all the edges. I decided to go with Jennifer McGuire's suggestion and use Craft Foam instead of Foam Tape, because it protects the card in the mail and it is a lot cheaper.

I then constructed the front panel:
  • First, there's a cream color Cardstock that has all the stitching lines.
  • Then, a beautiful shimmer, champagne color Neenah Metallics cardstock. I drew a horizontal line with a ruler and a 0.1 multiliner COPIC marker to give the illusion of the horizon where the wall meets the floor. I also aerographed two spots using a COPIC N2 marker and a COPIC Airbrush System, to simulate the shadows of the character and the tree.
  • The Window frame has two layers: a dark brown offset path and a front tan color cardstock stamped using the Lawn Fawn's Woodgrain Background Stamp set and Versamark Ink (no embossing powders, just a watermark simulating the woodgrain). The frame also has some scored lines to give it a 3D effect.
  • I glued the acetate window to the back to keep all the sequins and glitter confined.
I took a lot of pictures of this detail, most of them are of the already assembled card.
 Here you can see all the stitching around the window frame and the scored lines on the frame
 This photo shows how much goodies to put inside the shaker container, don't overdo it or you might end up covering the landscape view.
I used Martha Stewart's Coarse Glitter in Crystal and Iridescent Hearts & Stars Glitter, they come in a bunch of different shades to match your character's clothes color. I also used some Clear and Iridescent Sequins.
Now onto the character and the tree:
All the images were stamped using COPIC friendly Tuxedo Black Memento Ink on COPIC's Express It Blending Cardstock that allows beautiful blending of COPIC markers. I used the Fiskar's Compact Stamp press to center the images on the cutouts.
The tree comes from OAK Tree Stamps Bear Hugs Stamp Set and the base is from Paper Smooches Hullaballoo Stamp set. I drew a couple of scalloped lines on the tree using a COPIC Brush pen to give it depth and allow applying three different shades of green. I finished it with a gold embossed star from the All I Want for Christmas Stamp Set on top, using Versamark Ink and Judikins Egyptian Gold embossing powder. This embossing powder has sort of glitter bits built in and it shines beautifully.
The hair on the little boy was colored using www.danasinspirations.blogspot.com Coloring Charts (Check her blog out, she has some cool stuff). I tried combining different eye and hair colors.
The onesies were colored using three shades of each color and then I drew different patterns using Sakura Glaze 3-Dimensional pens. Finally, I added some accents and highlights using a White Gel pen (Sakura Gelly Roll)
I also used a Wink of Stella Clear Glitter brush on the ornament and finished it off with Mod Podge Dimensional Glue (the equivalent to Glossy Accents but a bit cheaper).
Both the character and the tree were popped up using several pieces of Foam Tape.
Finally, I added a red bow on the window frame to give it a more festive, Christmas-y look.

Of course I could not mail these cards using a plain envelope, so I went on and followed Kristina Werner Designs' suggestion (https://www.youtube.com/user/starofmay): I did some faux calligraphy with a Sakura Tiara Glitter pen on kraft paper envelopes, stamped the mistletoe from the All I Want for Christmas Stamp Set with Versafine Onyx Black ink, colored it using Caran d'Ache colored pencils and finished it up with Mod Podge for extra dimension.

Sorry about the dark half of the picture, don't want to give away anybody's personal info.

I hope you enjoy this card. It takes a while to make and it uses several supplies, but you'll find it very rewarding once you see it finished.

Instructions
  1. Import in DS
  2. Resize to 8.5 inches wide
  3. Ungroup
  4. Change function for the scoring layers of the window frame (there's two)
  5. Cut
  6. Assemble
  7. Enjoy!
Supplies List


If links don´t seem to open, please right click and select "open link in a new tab", it should take you to a save file dialog. Let me know in the comments if links don´t work, thanks.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1eTQ3A87vphgZwgXCiXmKsX2rdf_GD38J

No comments:

Post a Comment

amazon